Friday, June 26, 2009

Field of Dreams

Bears Number 104 and 105



Bears Number 106 and 107


My new project for the year has been, since early spring, the growing of herbs and tomatoes. I had estimated my monthly cost for herbs from the grocery store at about twenty dollars. Add to this the price for tomatoes, which I eat almost daily, and I thought “doing my own thing” would give me a chance to save money. Beginning in January I started to grow basil, chives, parsley, oregano, and sage in domed planters by the kitchen window, eventually transplanting the seedlings into larger planters and transferring those to my front porch. Tomatoes came to my house as small plants, five of them; a friend brought me two more last month.

I have three things to say about my little garden. First, I love to just walk out in the evening and “snip” some flavor to add to my meal. Secondly, even though friends giggle when I tell them that I harvest one to three cherry tomatoes a day, I am having a great time testing the different varieties. The third thought I have about the project: it costs more than I had hoped. Well, all the gardening books I bought probably raised the price of a tomato to ten dollars. But the fun I have, growing, harvesting, eating, journaling, photographing is worth the money I invested.

And so, because I don't want the Bears to feel neglected, I allowed Numbers 104, 105, 106, and 107 to romp through my “Field of Dreams.”

No comments: