Friday, June 12, 2009

World Wide Knit in Public Day

Bear 101

Tomorrow, Saturday, June 13, 2009, is World Wide Knit in Public Day. In 2008 I celebrated the event by knitting on the train, on my way to San Francisco and the Frida Kahlo Exhibit. Two days later an ambulance took me to the hospital with chest pains and a doctor implanted a stent into my right coronary artery to allow sufficient blood to flow to my heart. I went from zero to ten pills in a day.

A year has passed. I dropped my blog, but finished my 100 Bears for Africa project. I took a cruise to Alaska, a trip to Guernsey in the Channel Islands, a train to a snowy Truckee, and buses to various other locations in California. I suffered a few anxiety attacks dealing with chest pains that turned out not to be heart-related. For the most part my confidence in life’s routine has returned, but I still mourn my independence – always making sure I have my medication with me and sometimes worrying what it would be like not to have access to my daily pills.

Since my “big scare” I have knitted less and walked more, though gradually the desire to knit teddy bears for Africa returned. Several of them are waiting to be photographed; several are in a state of “almost finished” and some just found sponsors in my “Exploring Literature” group. Thank you, friends!

I have dedicated Saturday, June 13, 2009 to the Mother Bear Project. In the above photograph Bear Number 101 practices being my “poster child” for the World Wide Knit in Public Day. He is the first of my next 100 Bears. And tomorrow I will be sitting in front of the Green Planet Yarn Shop in Campbell, knitting Bears, enjoying the company of many others with busy fingers and creative minds.

No comments: