Monday, December 23, 2013

Happy Holidays to Ravelry and Friends

Seven of the eight Matata boys are in the air, on their way to Minneapolis. The eighth has fallen between the cracks and I will rescue him after the holidays. Matata himself sits quietly on the sofa in the sewing/guest room. I had told him my grand-daughter would be visiting for Christmas and he had promised to guard her presents. Yesterday she cancelled - too much work - and Matata's head slumped just a bit.







I smiled at him, pointing out that it would be less work for me - no big shopping trip today. No blueberries, no chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, no broccoli or pasta or frozen waffles or popcorn. No lentil soup from Trader Joe's. I wouldn't bake bread. I wouldn't get butter to recreate the noodle dish I fed her twenty-some years ago. And I definitely wouldn't buy mango smoothies.
"Are you sorry you put out all the decorations?"
"No," I said; "everybody enjoys the decorations. With the groceries it's different, most of those were her favorites when she was little, and some I only buy when she visits. Like ice cream. And frozen waffles."

Matata chuckles. "So you are spending the day knitting clothes for a doll. And you pretend you are not disappointed."

The conversation goes on and I measure my newest creation's feet. Again. I push and prod and twist. Her boots turned out lumpy. Rausch's boots don't fit. But, as was pointed out to me, on Ravelry, boots don't have to be perfect. They look well worn. They are hand-made. They are fine.







RAVELRY! What a formidable web presence! Over three million users strong. Worldwide. A gathering place for fiber artists. Sorted into groups with project specific names like Sock Knitters and Sockenstrickereien or pattern specifics like Granny Squares and Cable Lovers. Or fan groups like Yarn Harlot Fans. Yarn crazy people like Nuts for Noro. There are Caffeine Addicts and Sweet Tomato Heels and Ample Knitters and Saori Weavers. I've looked through Spindle Candy and Mason-Dixon Knitters and Amigurumi enthusiasts. There are thousands of groups with thousands of different names, but all have the same desire and the same effect. They are made up of creative people who support each other

I am active in The Mother Bear Project, knitting teddy bears for HIV/Aids affected children, mostly in Africa. And recently I discovered We Make Dolls, a doll making group started by Deena Thomson-Menard. In both groups I found friends. People who spend a great deal of time thinking the way I do. Wondering about color combinations. Digging through their stashes of yarn for just the right shade and feel for a new project. Clipping coupons for Michaels etc. Discussing patterns. Helping each other with difficult components and unfamiliar wording. And caring about each other.

Two years ago, when I had breast cancer, my Mother Bear group friends knitted over fifty pink teddy bears in my name. Their prayers and get well wishes surrounded me, even when I wasn't able to knit or participate on the discussion board. I will, forever, be grateful for their support.




I have just finished my first doll, the illustrious Spelladonna, designed by Deena Thomson-Menard. And now I am on a quest to create my personal alter ego, with the strange name of Rausch. Rausch is a German word. The verb is "rauschen."
Winter wind "rauscht" through bare-limbed trees.
The Christ child's golden wings "rauschen" when she mingles with the visitors at the Nürnberg Christmas Market.
The noun takes on a different personality. A "Rausch" is like an obsession. When I think of Rausch I imagine myself in the midst of a whirlwind of color. Or glitter. Looking up into the night sky and a million stars. Surrounded by the magic of a red poppy field. (though their is another Rausch that comes from ingesting too much white poppy product :) Listening to a chorus of angelic voices. A Rausch accompanies my wildest imagination. It makes me happy to be alive.

I would not have thought it possible to embark on this new adventure of doll making were it not for Ravelry. And so I wish Ravelry - its creators, participants, lurkers - most wonderful, creative holidays and a smooth entry into the next year.

As Matata would say: "Easy does it! There'll be 365 days to make whatever your heart desires!"




Happy Holidays to all my friends and families!

No comments: