Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Haschtag Strickrausch!





In my last post I talked about Ravelry, commenting on all the wonderful qualities a group like that has to offer. One thing I didn't mention, and it is, to me, the greatest joy - being able to act silly, act like a child, like a philosopher, like a psychologist, like the crazy with imagination woman I am. To be able to reveal my complete immersion into some of the characters I knit or crochet. It is like writing a story every day, without worrying that it sounds out of touch with the real world.









When I knit Bears I imagine them meeting their new friends in Africa. Crocheting little critters has given me an outlet for symbolic references. Looking at my newest doll - Rausch - I probe into a part of my childhood - the snow-filled joys in the Black Forest. She sits opposite me in the evening when I watch TV and I explain to her the difference between now and then. Maybe living alone has made me a bit odd, but I find this oddity rather entertaining. It keeps me from dwelling on cancer, on aches and pains, on aging, on ever shrinking mobility of body and brain.
It goes beyond knitting, because it frees me to create a world of beauty and possibilities. Ravelry friends are non-judgmental. Thank you!

The oddest thought of all, while I dream on, is the recurring sense of joy, the knowledge that my soul is not shrinking. My soul is expanding. Two days ago I threw myself into the laughter of the downtown holiday scene. While feasting on Black Forest cake at the Bijan Café I observed small children on a mini ferris wheel and a toddler who stared with grave interest at the electronic device in his little hand. And yes, he touched the screen like a pro. Yesterday, after I visited a friend at a Senior Care Facility, I walked through an adjacent park, elated by the sun that shone through the leaves of brightly colored trees, and, taking lots of pictures, I was fascinated by the trunks of others.



Last night, late in the evening, I discovered my next adventure. With water colors I created a "Summer Winds" child, a doll who will sing her heart out, wear bright clothes, speak with a Jamaican accent, and know all of Bob Marley's tunes. Appropriately I have named her Marley.




Happy New Year!

No comments: