Thursday, December 18, 2014

Happy Knitter

Knitting has been very meaningful so far this month. My daughter gave me an Advent candle which I light every evening for about fifteen minutes, and while I "gaze" into the light I reflect on the day's news, activities, and impressions. This keeps me from reacting to the stress that the holidays usually add. Of course knitting further deactivates negativity. How can I be stressed while creating a happy monkey? The pattern is Annita Wilschut's, available on Ravelry. I added a red skirt and Santa hat to make it a little girl monkey. As can be seen from the photo, I finished her on December 6.








I wasn't going to participate in my Ravelry group's Knit Along for December, but couldn't resist once I saw all the wonderful snowmen that were being knitted. On the 8th I began mine and have been blissfully happy seeing him grow. Well, actually, by clue four it became evident that he would be a she. Deena Thompson Menard revealed that Francis would be Frances as she added a dress.








In between clues, on December 11 I started another project. Many years ago my ex-husband had given me a gingerbread doll and I always thought that she evoked the best Christmas spirit in me. She reminds me of my early childhood and I can almost smell the Lebkuchen, the ginger bread, when I look at her.















Ginger is getting on in years and so I decided to clone her. The skirt was the hardest to reproduce; plaid requires much attention. I decided to make all parts from yarn in case Ginger II became friends with a little girl. Therefore the buttons are crocheted and embroidered.


Monkey girl and Ginger are finished; Frances is waiting for the last clue. Speculation is that she might get a hat and scarf. While I wait I am working on a rather bulky present for my daughter. For obvious reasons this project will not be revealed in pictures today.

The Advent candle has brought light and reflection into my living room and into my heart and I am grateful for the many hours of knitting that have resulted.

I wish all my friends a very Happy Holiday Season and a Prosperous New Year!

Gisela, the Happy Knitter :)

No comments: