Friday, April 11, 2014

Patty Cake continued

Yesterday I learned details about two concepts that are new to me. The first is the provisional cast on which is a zipper-like cast on, done with crochet hook and knitting needle. The cast on thread can be pulled off when needed, to allow for the project to be worked on again. In my case the collar will be attached to the top of the coat after the coat is finished.

The second concept is that of the Fibonacci stripe generator, named after an Italian mathematician and his numerical sequencing that seems to generate pleasing patterns in nature and on knitting needles.

I am thrilled to learn new things, but even more so, I am thrilled to be creating three dolls instead of one. To Ann-Katrin (25") and Natalie S. (21") I have added D.D. (15"). To accomplish different sizes I am using different yarns (from bulky to superfine) and different needles (from #7 to #1) , but sticking with the same pattern.
That I am impatiently attacking my iPad for late Thursday night or early Friday morning clues, revealing the next step for this project, makes me laugh out loud. Of course, in my haste I misread a clue this morning and happily knitted almost half a coat before I realized that I had made a mistake. As luck has it, the provisional cast on will allow me to redo the beginning with ease.

As for my three Patty Cakes, they are eagerly awaiting the completion of wardrobe, facial features, and hair.




Natalie S., Ann-Katrin, and D.D. In the beginning ....


Artistic interpretation generated by an application named PhotoFunia



Step 2 - bloomers for all



Playing with PhotoFunia that allows me to place my images into preset designs




The three girls trying on dresses in various stages of completion




D.D. Testing the outside world in her newly knitted dress.




It's midnight and all three dresses are finished.




Week Five - Friday morning clue: pattern for coat. Unforeseen complication? I misinterpret the pattern and knit the collar first. But ... the cast on is a provisional cast on and by pulling on the yarn end I can unravel it and "reinterpret" the pattern. Or, I can ignore the pattern and leave the collar as is.
In our group discussion we called it "winging it" and it looks like I am not the only one who began knitting immediately, without questioning the wording of the pattern. As long as my three Patty Cakes get their coats by next Friday morning all is well with the world.

No comments: