Friday, April 25, 2014

Thank you Mother Earth


Spring is filled with celebrations. I just finished Easter. And Earth Day. Coming up tomorrow are International Tai Chi Day and National Day of Puppetry. Then Cinco de Mayo and finally on May 11 - Mothersday. Mother would be 102 this year. We will celebrate with brunch, at my sister-in-law's house, to honor her. I wish I could show her my newest dolls; she always encouraged me to allow my creativity to flourish.
The knit-along is over; my three dolls are finished. Though made from the same pattern - Deena Thomson- Menard's Patty Cake pattern - each has her own personality. I embellished each a bit differently and, of course, hair always makes such a distinct difference.

Ann-Katrin is the largest of the three. Her hair session took several hours, since her wig is large and had to be filled with strands of yarn, piece by piece.















Natalie S. has a mohair wig, which needed less yarn. But she wanted a wild hairdo. No braids. Let the wind blow through her hair!






Then there is the little one - D.D. - I wasn't sure about her hair, probably didn't give it the attention I devoted to the other two. She has two pigtails now; they stick out in defiance, but for a while her hair looked like that of her bigger sister.



And here they are, finished. Ready to occupy whatever space I desire.








I repeat what I said on Facebook on Earth Day, when I talked about the things that make me happy.

Mother Earth has blessed me.
There are chestnut leaves. And pansies.
There is photography. Purple yarn.
Hot chocolate. And Madiba ..... Forever.

...... and many times there is a project that fills me with great joy. April gave me the three Patty Cake sisters. Thank you Deena Thomson-Menard

No comments: