Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Fest




Over the last three months more than half of the Bears I knitted found sponsors in family and friends; even my two ex-husbands and my ex-brother-in-law sponsored a Bear each. Yesterday we had another family fest (we celebrated spring birthdays, mother’s day, father’s day, and “everybody’s day”) and I had brought along a bag full of Bears and asked those whom I hadn’t seen in a while to consider sponsorship.

“Amy from the Mother Bear Project wants me to take a few pictures,” I said. In general I leave the photographing of family events to the younger generations now and concentrate on talking, eating, and laughing. I remember a time when small children danced in front of the camera, posing without being asked. I also remember a time when our teenagers would hide their faces behind their hands if I tried to take pictures of them. And now we older folks tend to shy away from being immortalized while our lips are decorated with stray bean sprouts or because the hand of time has painted a few extra lines on our foreheads. I personally tear up all images that zoom in on my upper arms. But Bears seem to make everybody happy and I was glad that my camera was there to be aimed at a few sponsors.

Tomorrow I will try this “public exposure thing” on my memoir writers’ group and then I will crawl back to my solitary nest and knit some more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your narrative about the bears, although I must admit I have not read them all. I also knit bears for Mother Bear Project. Today's comments about having your picture taken is so true! Smile lines are OK but upper arms an double chins are forbidden. Keep up the great work.

Unknown said...

Hi donna, and thanks for your kind words about my babblings. Keeping the monologue going keeps me knitting. And speaking of double chins - I used to practice in front of the mirror to find the best angle that would hide the extra chin, now I just "grin and bear it."