Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm Out of Stuffing


Has anybody else ever run out of polyester Bear stuffing in the middle of the night? This is terrible. The left leg of Bear number sixty-seven is too thin because I had to push half of its muscle power into his lopsided belly, and now I can’t close him up because I have no more stuffing. I have hunted through the pile of bags in the spare room – nothing.

Am I addicted to Bear making? It feels like an addiction when breathing speeds up and outrage over lack of stuffing makes me pace the living room floor. If I smoked I would go to an all-night convenience store to fill the need. Unfortunately there are no all-night polyester stuffing stores. And no substitutes. I guess batting won’t do. Who wants a layered Bear? I have no horsehair in the house. Oops, I guess that was used in the “olden days” to fill mattresses, not Bears. What about cotton balls? I think they clump. I could slice a pillow open. My down comforter?

It is now one thirty in the morning and I have obsessed over this way too long. As a last resort I could steal stuffing from Bear number sixty-eight’s head, but that might make his eyes cave in and his mouth pucker up. I could use some of the snipped-off yarn ends that I have saved to prove a point. I forgot what the point was, but I would hate to have pink or lime green pieces eventually work themselves out of a rainbow Bear. No need to confuse a child with neon-bright fake polyester.

Go to bed I say, and shop for a bag of stuffing in the morning. Bear sixty-six is patiently standing by, waiting to be featured in a yet to be written story. I think I’ll just post the photo of him coming out of the red overland truck. Now there’s a substitute if I’ve ever seen one. The truck is an old Barbie bus that I picked up at a garage sale for a dollar, spray-painted it, and used it in a Christmas display a few years back. It is full of tiny dolls and ornaments and miniature dishes, all of which I had to take out to make an attempt to squeeze a couple of sleepy Bears into it. But I like the way it looks and shooting it from overhead almost works. It's all make-believe anyway. Only the Bears are real. At least the ones that are properly stuffed.

No comments: