Thursday, May 1, 2008

Time to Go


When the Bears arrived at the airport in Johannesburg they were very tired. But they shook themselves, puffed out their faces, gave their ears a little twist, and stretched their limbs to look presentable after having been squeezed tightly into a narrow space for so many hours.

They decided to wait together until they were told about their final destinations and heard the names of the children they would soon belong to. Except for Nelson. Nelson, Bear number fifty-one, had to find a Baobab. His Mother Bear had told him much about this most famous tree in all of Africa, and before he had left home she had whispered into his ear, “Whenever you see a Baobab, remember the stories and remember to make a wish.”

Of course he would not see one of them in the city, and so he decided to look for a map. “I’ll be back before anybody misses me,” he said. “I’ll find a map that will lead me to a Baobab tree.” With that he waved to his friends and ran off.

Soon the counselors arrived and picked their Bears up to take them to the children. Nelson’s friends didn’t want to leave him behind; they begged the counselors to give them a few minutes to look for him and promised to be right back.

Bear number fifty-two went north and ended up in a big field.

“I know there must be a Baobab around here somewhere,” he mumbled to himself. “I wish I knew what it looks like.” Then he hollered, “Nelson! Nelson! It’s time to go.”

The dry grasses were quite high and before long number fifty-two was lost. He ran back and forth, but everything around him looked the same. Without a compass and without a map would he ever find his way back to the airport?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am involved with the Mother Bear Project in Minneapolis. This is awesome! You are very creative.

Unknown said...

Hi nonna,

Thanks for your comment. I envy you for your close proximity to the "real Mother Bear Den." I think this is a wonderful project and I consider myself lucky to have found my way into the Mother Bear Booth at Stitches West.