Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Another One


Samy was grumpy. He had slept outside so the girls could take shelter in his home. It was early in the morning and sunshine was just beginning to brighten the zinnias. The zinnias? Hadn’t he asked for palm trees? For a Caribbean atmosphere?

But of course! Now he remembered. When he slept outside of his suitcase his imagination couldn’t focus long and deep enough to build magical landscapes. Oh well, another day of zinnias would be just fine.

“Excuse me. Sir? Are you angry? Should I come back later?”

Samy heard the voice and thought “another one,” and when he turned around and saw that she carried a full barrel he thought how loud the band would be. A fifty-five gallon bass drum. A little monotonous maybe because of the limited number of notes, but still loud.

“No, no, no,” he said. “I am not angry. I was just contemplating the day to come. My name is Putnam. Mr. Putnam. And you are?”

“I am Bear number forty-one. I’m a girl musician. My sister told me about the band. She’s coming with the rest of my drums. I play six bass except we lost one and now she’s looking for it.”

“You might as well show me what you can do with one. It will be enough to wake your future band leader and her new friend.”

No comments: