Monday, April 21, 2008

The Bella Fonti Beach Bash

"So, what are the plans?" Samy looked at Bear thirty-nine, expecting an answer. But none came. Or, I should say, the answer he got was not what he had anticipated.

“I don’t know. I just want to play in a steelband. And I want to have a big concert.”

For a moment Samy sat quietly on his chair. Then he stood up as well as he could stand up on his injured foot. He hobbled back and forth. By pacing he could try to think. Samy was used to planning, but most masterminding of events happened in the suitcase, shut tightly to the outside world.

He turned to the girls who wanted to be musicians and the boy and his sister who had drifted in with the lost drum. He smiled.

“This is what has to happen quickly: You have to think outside the box. I, on the other hand, have to go inside my box to be of help“

The boy Bear spoke for the first time. “What’s the name of your band? And where’s the concert goin’ to be?”

Bear thirty-nine shrugged her shoulders.

“The name. Yes, you definitely need a name for your band,” Samy said. “Anybody else have any ideas?”

“Chicken of the Sea.”

“The Big Tuna.”

“Calypso in a can.”

“How about Garbanzo Bean?” the boy said.

“Looks like you’re on the right track. Make a list of all the names you can think of. Tomorrow we’ll pick one. You may play right here if you wish. If I sleep in my house for a night or two I’ll have a beach scene for you soon. Since there are six of you now, you might as well sleep under the stars and let an old man take his bed back inside.”

And then, more to himself, he said, “Imagine, a concert by the beach.”

“Cool!” Bear thirty-nine was excited. “The concert is a surprise for my mother. Her name is Bella Fonti. Can we call it the “Bella Fonti Beach Bash?”

“If that’s what you wish. And when do you want to have this Bella Fonti Beach Bash? When will you be ready?”

“April 24th. That’s my mother’s birthday.”

“Three days to get ready. You better get started while I take my nap. Help me with the bed, will you please.”

No comments: