Friday, April 11, 2008

Follow-up to the "Little Give."

To the person who left a message about my post on the "Little Give," -"Thank you, you made my day."

When I was three we lived in a city that was bombed nightly. One night a group of refugees was housed in the hallway of our hotel. Children were crying when the bombs hit around us. Eventually everybody settled down except for one little girl. She kept on crying. My mother took my stuffed rabbit and gave it to the little girl. She instantly fell asleep, holding the stuffed animal tightly in her arms. In the morning the refugees were moved before my mother could retrieve my rabbit. It was my turn to cry, until my mother made me something else to hold.

My mother told me about this when I was in my forties, sewing rabbits and giving them away to homeless children. I had asked her if she knew what makes me want to make these things for children in need. She told me about the war and how a teddy bear or doll, something to hold onto in the dark, helped ease the fear.

"You probably remember," she said, "deep down in your subconscious, how it feels to be alone."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gisela, no wonder your web site is so powerful and moving! I love that you play with your bears before they send them off to children who might not remember how to play. The bears will already know how and will teach them to play again.

I sent the comment for Little Give as I could readily identify with your thoughts. Since I don't blog, I didn't know how to select an identity and forgot to sign my name. Now I will sign it, your friend and fellow bear knitter, Diane

Unknown said...

Thanks, Diane, again.
I guess I believe in "good vibrations" and think that every good thought I put into the project will somehow make its way along with the Bears. Why else would I spend an hour banging out canned goods so they might resemble steel drums with concave tops. Not to speak of all the beans I have to eat now, because I can't very well hammer full cans.
So, thank you friend and fellow Bear knitter, for recognizing the thoughts that go into each one of the Bears.
And, by the way, I haven't figured out the identity thing at the bottom of the comments page yet,so I have no idea how it will show up. Right now I'm too busy knitting and taking pictures; not enough time to read more instructions.
Gisela.