Friday, April 11, 2008

Bear Number 39 Looking for the Music of the Night


Whether it is Keith Jarrett making love to the piano, Yo-Yo Ma exploring the cello, Don Ellis reinventing the trumpet, or Bob Marley singing “No woman no cry,” I can’t think of anything better to do after midnight than to listen to music. The names of the musicians sound intriguing:Vladimir Ashkenazy. Hamza El Din. Burning Spear. The titles are mysterious: Mamaloshen. Gamelan of the Kraton. Ladies of the Canyon. Here is a CD I forgot I had: “The Perfect Jewel” – Sacred Chants of Tibet.

When I was a teenager I was in love with Harry Belafonte and Calypso. I thought about this after I had finished the Purple Rain Gang. I knew that my next group of Bears would have to carry some music to Africa. Or maybe I should say, carry music back to Africa. Calypso, reggae, steelpan. I thought about the night I spent at an outdoor reggae concert in Montego Bay; it was unbelievably colorful in sounds, smells, dress. And the steel drum groups that used to gather in San Francisco at the beach – lighthearted, easygoing, entertaining.
What could be translated into Bear knitting? How do I make steelpans? I have to google Calypso. Look up Trinidad on a map.
What do you mean, use Chicken of the Sea? How about fruit cocktail?

No comments: