Friday, April 4, 2008

Face It


Though right now my life is free of fading, felting, bleeding problems, I face other obstacles. Yes, I FACE them. Sewing features on bear heads is the most difficult part of bear construction for me. I only do it in the morning when I’m well rested. I stand by the window where I have plenty of natural light. And still, most faces decide on their own what they want to look like.

Finishing a bear feels like finishing a painting. After ten hours of knitting, sewing, stuffing, I could ruin it all with a few misplaced lines. The needle pops up in the wrong place; the mouth is too thick; the nose looks crooked; eyes bulge or disappear into the soft bed of fiberfill beneath the knitted surface.

With Bear number thirty-two (the third of the tutu girls) I came close to achieving symmetry. A few of the others are not too bad either, but most are less than perfect. I tell myself that the face gives individuality to each bear. And I am determined to make the Purple Rain Gang smile.

No comments: