Sunday, April 13, 2008

Samy's Zinnia Patch


Samy Lucius Putnam lives in a magical world. When he opens his suitcase he finds himself exactly at the place he wants to be. It could be a big city or a beach or the woods. One never knows what scenery has developed in his mind during the night.

“Flowers,” he said one morning to the bees that buzzed his rooftop, “I want to see flowers grow.”
He marched to the back of his tiny home to inspect the patch of coral and white zinnias that stretched as far as the eyes could see. Satisfied with his mind’s creation he decided to go back inside to brew some tea, but a voice caught him just as he was about to close the door.

“Excuse me Mr. Frog, do you have a minute?”

“My name is Putnam. Mr. Putnam. How can I help you?”

The Bear waved her sign in front of him and asked, “Do you know any musicians? I want to make music, but I need a band.”

“I play the violin,” Samy told her, “but I see from your sign that you are looking for girl musicians.” He glanced at the raggedy tin can on her wagon and asked, “What is this?”

“This,” she announced proudly, “is my pan. My calypso steel drum.”

“I guess we have to sit down and discuss your plan. You do have a plan, don’t you? How about a cup of dandelion tea?”

No comments: