Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bears Forty-Five to Forty-Nine




Bears forty-five to forty-nine are an extension of the carrots and guacamole color group. I added a little cornmeal, a neon version of avocado, some bright orange, the comfort of forest green and almost made it to fifty. But just before I reached my goal, I was interrupted by a thought. Something in my head kept saying, “Do the (RED) thing.” Which meant that Bear number fifty had to be red.

When Bono and Bobby Shriver launched the concept of (Product)Red, raising money for the Global Fund to combat Aids, Tuberculosis, and Malaria in Africa, I was one of the first customers to stand in line at the Gap to buy the red t-shirt that says “Inspi(red). Of course I have to include it in my Bears for Africa knitting project, even though I detected a small stain on it the other day. This might be the last time the shirt will go public. Contrary to my mother’s belief that “it all comes out in the wash,” some stains are impossible to get rid of.

My t-shirts are indicators of my interests, my passions, my travels. I’ve collected many of them over the years, have worn some to shreds, have outgrown others, have ruined several by spilling something on them But I can’t bear to give them away or toss them into the trashcan because they all remind me of experiences I’ve had. My t-shirts are storytellers.

I came up with a solution to the problem. Before I discard any shirt now, I take a picture of it. I will document “Inspi(red)” with (red) Bear number fifty. I wanted to do it yesterday, but I spent too much time gathering all the bears, propping them on my kitchen table, taking a group photo. Every time I thought I was done, somebody had slipped, or tilted to obscure the face of the one behind. I became impatient and decided not to take any more pictures for the rest of the day. I had to get back to knitting.

No comments: