Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bear Number Twelve Makes a Friend



Tuesday, March 11, 2008


It is really amazing how many different looks one can produce with just two ingredients - knitting needles and yarn. It would be interesting to know if any one bear has every been duplicated. Not by the same person, of course, since this could have been done on purpose or even because that person likes a particular look and after a few others went back to the favorite without even thinking about it.


Imagine that there are 25,900 unique bears out there. Different color combinations. Knit and purl stitches mixed into a multitude of patterns. Facial expressions embroidered into smiles and scowls, big eyes, little eyes, square and elongated nose jobs. And imagine that all these bears were created from one pattern. It makes me happy to think that we are giving individual attention to each gift. My enthusiasm was the trigger for yesterday's story about cloning, copying, and adding bright colors. Just because we use a common pattern doesn't mean that we don't create unique objects. And yes, I LOVE lime green. Just can't get enough of it.



Bear number twelve took a little trip outside this morning and was photographed with my garden gnome. The gnome lost most of its color since I bought it last summer. California sunshine can be rough on gnomes who like filtered rays. I was lucky enough to get a replacement from the company who sold it to me, but now I have to build a gnome house or at least a gnome shelter to avoid exposing the second one.








No comments: