Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Crayon Box Twins



I have a bucket filled with crayons but I needed a crayon box to reflect the twins’ nickname. Imagine my shock and awe at the craft store when I found a whole section devoted to Crayola items. While I let my eyes get adjusted to the opulence I thought of the fun a box of eight crayons and a few sheets of paper had offered my children during their preschool years.

But now, how does a mother choose from so many different products? After reading the captions on over thirty items I gave up on my speculations and, as luck had it, I saw a couple of eight-crayon boxes. But just for fun I made a list of some of the Crayolas in front of me.
Glitter glue sticks
Squeezables – 3 D paint
Washable poster and craft paint
Washable kids’ paint
“Beginnings” called TADOODLES, markers that” tip and tilt but won’t topple.” For eighteen months and up. Nontoxic. No caps.
Erasable highlighters
No drip gel paints
Twistables – no sharpening
Dual-ended pencils called Heads ‘n Tails
64 Pip-squeakes
Dry-erase markers
“The most washable markers” (50 of them) all with Super Tips
Fabric markers
Over “Briters” markers
Bathtub paints
Color dotz
Monster sharpener (looks like a giant purple monster)
Sidewalk chalk
Color Wonder soft sticks – clear. Color appears magically
Color Surge - crazy tips markers
True to Life tri-color tips
Glue rollers, brushes, art smock, sticker books,
Murals, drawing tablets, construction paper, finger paint paper
Model Magic Fusion – modeling material
Several “color systems” and “creativity centers”
And last but not least – a booklet for art teachers – a Dream Makers Guide – for grades K to six
Oops, almost forgot, 8 Crayola Crayons – Bright and Vivid Colors – $0.99

I am now officially exhausted. I wonder, what does it mean “the most washable markers?”
What happens after a toddler has become used to “tip and tilt that won’t topple?” Shouldn’t he learn from the beginning that “tip and tilt too far” means “oh, oh, it fall down.”
And what kindergardener needs 64 of anything?
Imagine my disappointment when I realized that the clear marker refuses to decorate a plain paper bag. Magic depends on specially treated paper.



I hope the Crayon Box Twins appreciate what I went through to get a prop for their photograph.




No comments: