Friday, March 21, 2008

Sweetpeas Rule!



No news about Freddy the cat. I don’t know when he is coming or even if he is going to live with me. Gradually yarn and drawing utensils and the maidenhair fern have moved back into my kitchen. A new color scheme is waiting on the table, to be turned into bear. Earlier I stood in front of it, while knitting a paw for number twenty-two. Here I have to admit that I watched “America’s Next Top Model,” on Wednesday evening. Fashion photography appeals to me; I endure the silly fights and jealousies of the young would-be models because I enjoy the creativity of their photo shoots. In this particular episode the girls were dripping paint, or whatever it is that’s used instead. I loved the effect, the intensity of big drops of color and immediately began to search my stash for bright yarn.
Does this mean that I am done with yellows and purples and pinks and baby blues? Probably, for now. But first I have to admire Sweetpeas, bear number twenty-one. She is the loveliest of bears. And full of adventurous energy. She wouldn’t stand still - she had to climb a rock. She had to lift her arms and shout, “Sweetpeas rule!”
Looking at her is like going back in time and watching myself play hide and seek around beanstalks, toss gooseberries into my best friend’s mouth, string together flowers for a necklace.
In my mother’s garden.

No comments: