Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunflower Dreams



My Webster’s College Dictionary tells me that the word “sunflower” means “any of a genus of tall herbs related to the daisies that are often grown for their showy yellow-rayed flower heads and for their oil-rich seeds.” For me the word “sunflower” creates a field of yellow dreams in the south of France. It also brings back my grandmother’s garden in Germany.
Sunflower yellow is a happy feeling.
But spring is the wrong season for sunflowers and I have to improvise my vision. I buy a single “fabricated” one at the craft store and try to bestow upon it the magic I expect from a live one. It works for photography, I think. And to guide me in a teddy bear color scheme. For the rest of the dream, only found in the real flower, I have to wait until fall.

No comments: