Friday, March 28, 2008

Let's Play

I wish stories came to me packaged. With a big sign stamped on the outside, saying,

“It’s a wrap!”

And inside I would find a proper beginning, a substantial middle, and a meaningful ending. This would be so much easier than my fumblings in the twilight of the imagination. Secondly, I wish that photographs could talk and remind me of details that need to be considered.

Take the Blue Boys. The first one was easy to photograph. Then the wind came and blew the copy of the “Blue Horse” off the wall. I stuck it back on with a glue dot but not in the right place.

The second Blue Boy was supposed to bring red yarn to the story. I laid it on the floor in front of him. Boring.
I imagined the third Blue Boy would dump the bucket of blue, yellow, and green yarn. But the way I arranged the balls…..they couldn’t have fallen out of the bucket that way.
By the time I got to Brother number four, I mixed up their order.

“Reshoot!”

As I looked at the pictures on my computer I wondered about the empty bucket. What’s the point? Where’s the story? Something else had to come out of there. Something small.
I found a toy giraffe.
Now, what does a small giraffe have to do with this picture?

“Rethink!”

A small horse would be nice. A small blue horse. Hooray!!! Unfortunately I don’t have a small blue horse and I really want to finish this part of the project today.
I picked up my thoughts, and the bears and the props - the wind was still blowing – brought them inside. I had to go to the store. Needed more head yarn for brother number five. Not coffee color. Not warm brown. Buff? Taupe!!!

I don’t know what made me think I would find a blue horse at the craft store.

“What would Franz Marc do?”

Never mind. I bought a tube of red paint. Good idea. It relates to the red yarn.
On the way home I figured out how to put it all together. How to take the pictures. How to write the story.
Well, it’s time to work on it now. The Blue Boys are ready to play.

No comments: