Saturday, March 8, 2008

In the beginning...



Sunday, Feb 24, 2008

I am beginning my first bear for the Mother Bear Project. It all started with Stitches West, the heavenly fiber market for serious knitters at the Santa Clara Convention Center. The Mother Bear people had a booth there. Mother Bear sends teddy bears to children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa. Well, why didn’t I know about this before? They have shipped over 25,000 so far.
My bear Tyana J LittleString and I had to investigate. Tyana travels with me and is pictured here next to me at the Convention Center. She has her own photo book on Shutterfly where she models her extensive wardrobe for all to see.

I bought the knitting pattern for the project at the Mother Bear booth during my six-hour excursion to the convention and studied it while riding light rail home. It is an easy pattern; the body is worked in one piece; sleeves are added afterwards. The piece is folded in half, sewn, stuffed, face embroidered with eyes, nose, and mouth. A scarf is optional, so is a skirt. The basic pattern calls for three colors: main color, trouser color, sweater color.

At home I immediately sorted out all four-ply knitting worsted, left over from my doll give-away project. Seems to me that I have plenty of yarn, but I know from experience that I will probably go out soon to get the colors I am missing. Yes, where is lime green?

I picked three skeins from the bin. I have number seven needles but am a little afraid of them because they are metal needles. I will try and if my fingers hurt I will have to go out and buy bamboo needles. I am using white yarn for the lower body and legs, variegated dark red, white, pale blue for the upper body and skirt, and dark brown for the bear paws and head.

No comments: