Monday, March 17, 2008

The Bear who Stepped out of a Painting


Some of my friends call me whimsical. I am not exactly sure what that means, but I am confident that it isn't something bad, and I know it has to do with "sudden fancies." I had one of those today and this photo is the result. Sunflower yellow, dark sage, claret red, and off-white yarn make up this bear's attire. I wanted to come as closely as I could to the colors in the painting. As if he had collected the paint from the canvas and applied it to his body in a more orderly fashion.


Of course the painting was done under the influence of a sudden fancy. A couple of years ago I developed an interest in Jackson Pollock; after I read Ruth Kligman's "Love Affair" (A memoir of Jackson Pollock) I tried to imitate his style. But I didn't throw buckets of paint at a canvas; I dribbled, dripped, dropped, and spread what was left over in three jars. It was a one-time fancy. Experimental and not all that successful. But today, as I walked back and forth, eyeing bear and painting together, I was quite happy. Fancy that!

No comments: